Thursday, February 9, 2012

It's Not Fair

How many times have I heard my children holler It's not fair! Needless to say then comes the time when my husband or I try to explain the reasons why life just sometimes seems to be unfair but its really just them wanting things to go their way and it doesn't. Then there are the times when life really isn't fair, but trying to explain to them God is still in control. Well last month I found myself heartbroken for a friend and screaming, "IT'S NOT FAIR!!!" You see, my friend got the most devastating, heart wrenching news that her 4 year old daughter has Leukemia. It was out of the blue and her daughter hadn't even been sick. It is truly the case of life being unfair. I found myself trying to rationalize something that couldn't be explained, needing to run to God to feel better, because I know He is in control. As all of the thoughts of trying to imagine what this beautiful family was going through, I just had to be honest I didn't and still don't want to imagine what they are going through, because it is so unfair. Knowing, that I didn't live close to her anymore (in fact I am about 700 miles away), so I couldn't rush to her side, hug her and offer to do things for her, I could only offer prayers from a distance. Which is truly the best thing I can do for her. I found that I needed to be in God's presence and His Word to know how to pray for this family. While in prayer, my mind kept coming back to Romans 8:28 And we know that God causes all things to work together for good, to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. Now mind you I am not the best at remembering scripture, so I could only remember some of it and had to go to a Bible web site to find the exact verse. Well when I found it and read the whole verse, I felt a sense of calm. The reason why this verse gives me a sense of peace is I know, for a fact, that my friend and her daughter love God with all of their hearts and they have been called according to His purpose, they have been redeemed by the Savior, not because they proclaim it, but because they live it. You see a lesser woman would have crumbled into despair, but not my friend or her daughter. They are an inspiration to me and my family. This beautiful, godly family is living out God's grace in their hearts for all to see. They are rejoicing in the daily miracles of God's provision, love and His faithfulness. Rejoicing in just the normalcy of every day and it is overflowing to others. I for one have been blessed by this family and how they are not just coping, they are thriving. I just keep hearing the beautiful song "Beauty for Ashes" in my head. I would sing it, but no one would find joy in it but the Lord. My favorite part goes: "He gives beauty for ashes, strength for fear, gladness for morning and peace for despair." How gracious is our God to give His people peace for despair!!!
  This song reminds me of a verse I learned while studying Isaiah. Isaiah 61:3 To grant those who morn in Zion, Giving them a garland instead of ashes, The oil of gladness instead of mourning, the mantle of praise instead of a spirit of fainting. So they will be called oaks of righteousness, The planting of the LORD, that He may be glorified. 
My friend and her family are standing like oaks of righteousness in these troubled times and it is an inspiration. I thank you Lord for bringing this godly woman into my life, she touched my heart and my life when we lived in the same town, who knew (thanks to fb) she and her family would continue to bless my life, while living so far away.
Father God, I can't thank you enough for being our peace in troubled times!! May you continue to give this family a mantle of praise instead of the spirit of fainting. May you continue to faithfully provide your glorious, bountiful provisions and joy instead of mourning. May you continue to bless them through their family, friends and yes even strangers who act as your angels on earth. May you watch over and protect this sweet child and continue to give her little body strength and heal her with a miraculous healing, so in this You may be glorified. May You continue to give her strength so she may dance and sing your praises and as always may through this family may your name be glorified. For all of the glory is yours. I pray this all in Jesus' Holy, Powerful Name!  and all Gods' people said, "AMEN"

Today's recipe is my families favorite, warm your belly feel better soup.In this recipe I used all organic ingredients, except for the bullion, so it is very healthy!
Turkey and Rice Soup
1 tbsp Olive Oil
 1 1/2 lbs. (about) Turkey tenderloin cut in about 1 inch size pieces (if you can't find turkey tenderloin, you can substitute with boneless, skinless chicken)
1 cup diced carrots (2 to 3 depending on size)
1 cup diced celery (2 to 3 depending on size)
1 medium to large diced onion
1 tsp garlic granules
1 tsp poultry seasoning
1 chicken bullion cube
1 32 oz. box vegetable broth/stock
1 32 oz. box chicken stock/broth
2 cups of water
Cooked rice
        Heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add in turkey and cook until no longer pink in the middle.



Add in the diced veggies and stir. Cover and cook veggies until the onions are translucent, stirring occasionally.

 Add in poultry seasoning and garlic stir well. Then break up the bullion and distribute evenly over the turkey and veggie mixture. Mix it in as well. 

Stir in both broths/stocks and the water. Cover and continue to heat on medium high until it comes up to a rolling boil.

Lower the heat to low and remain covered while cooking 30 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
 I usually start my rice when I lower the heat because it takes about 20 min. to cook rice.
I never add my rice directly to my soup it takes in to much broth and becomes mushy.

To serve, I put 1/4 to 1/2 cup of rice in the bottom of the bowl and ladle the soup over top.
Don't forget to have a tall glass of 100% juice with it so your meal is twice as healthy.

Sorry I missed taking pictures for a couple of steps, but so goes the life of a homeschool mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment