Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Square Peg In A Round Hole

I think I have spent my whole life feeling this way. Always trying to fit in where it was obvious, in my eyes, I didn't belong. Last week I spent some time in Luke 3 learning about John the Baptist. Now if you are talking about a square peg, I think John fits the bill. John was quite different than most. Matthew describes John the Baptist this way: In Matthew 3:4 Now John himself had a garment of camel's hair and a leather belt around his waist; and his food was locusts and wild honey. So he dressed rather unconventionally and was a health food nut. Can totally relate here, love my whole wheat and my agave nectar. Big Daddy has also accused me of dressing like Mimi from Drew Carey's show, minus the blue eye shadow of course. Love me some lime green and hot pink plaid capri's. So I can definately relate to being different.In John 3:1-3 it explains the conditions and political climate in which John lived. In John 3:1 it says Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea,... Looking up Tiberius' rule and the state of the people at the time Pontius Pilate was governor I found that Tiberius was a corrupt and immoral ruler and the times in which John was preaching was full of moral degradation and chaos. Sounds a little to much like the times we live in today. As for the conditions, it says in John 3: 2-3... the word of God came to John, the son of Zacharias, in the wilderness. And he came into all the district around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins; What I am learning about the condition of the Jordan wilderness is that it wasn't a pleasant place. It was hot, dirty, uncomfortable and removed from civilization. Well I can say for the most part that doesn't describe Athens, GA, but it does describe how I have felt living here. It is on occasions hot, there is a lot of red clay that stains everything and I have definately felt uncomfortable here being away from friends and family living in a city where there is quite a bit of moral degradation going on. So I can relate to living in morally degradating times and being uncomfortable but this is where my relating to John ends. Jesus in Matthew 11:11 says "Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."  These past few days I have learned that John spoke with divine authority John 1: 6-7 There came a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to testify about the Light, so that all might believe through him. He had a genuine humility about him. John was always saying I am not. John 1:20 He confessed and did not deny but confessed, "I am not the Christ.";  John 1:21 Then they asked him, " What then? Are you Elijah?" And he said," I am not."; Luke 3:16 John answered and said to them all, " As for me, I baptize you with water; but One is coming who is mightier than I , and I am not fit to untie the thong of His sandals; He will baptize you  with the Holy Spirit and fire." John would always give the glory to God and point the way to Christ. I believe John understood that his role was to prepare a way for Christ and then to get out of the way.  This brings me to John's quotes found in  John 3:27 & 30- 27 John answered, and said, "A man can receive nothing unless it has been given him from heaven. 30" He must increase but I must decrease." This is where I would really like to relate to John. He got it. To be more like Christ we must be less like ourselves. John was being who God created him to be, not as the world would like, but as the Lord likes. So I really shouldn't mind being a square peg in a round hole if it is for all of the right reasons. We as Christians are called to be set apart, to be new creations. Not looking like the world is a good thing!! Father God give me John's passion for the truth, his genuine humility and the power to stand strong in your convictions and most of all John's eagerness to lead people to You and then get out of Your way. In Jesus Name. Amen


In honor of John the Baptist I am going all health nut on you guys.
Peachy Good Scones
1/2 cup coconut shortening
1 cup organic whole wheat flour
1 cup organic unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup organic oats
1 tablespoon baking powder (aluminum free)
1/4 teaspoon natural unbleached sea salt
1 teaspoon organic cinnamon
1/3 cup organic turbinado sugar
1 cup organic fresh or frozen peaches, cut into 1/2 in. cubes
1/3 cup organic half-n-half or whole milk
1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Put your coconut shortening in the freezer for about 20 minutes. So it gets the consistency of a stick of butter. Don't remove from freezer until you are ready to use it.
Line baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray.


In food processor combine dry ingredients: both flours, oats,  baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and sugar. Pulse 3 to 4 times.


                                    Take shortening out of freezer and cut into 1/2 in. cubes.
Take of the lid to the processor and place the shortening around the processor. Put lid back on and pulse until the shortening becomes pea sized. You may have to use a spatula to scrape the sides down.

                                   Add in your fruit and pulse about 3 times. Do not over mix.
                                     Pour in your milk and pulse until dough forms.
                                  Turn out onto floured surface and roll into about 1/2 thick.
                                                     
                                       

                            Sprinkle some turbinado sugar on top and cut as if you were cutting a pizza.



Place triangles on lined baking sheet and bake in 400 degree oven for 12 to 15 minutes.

Now celebrate that you are eating something that is good for you, by using your good dishes!


2 comments:

  1. Amen, preach it Mimi!! Love you and thank you for sharing what God has laid on your heart. ><>

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too! We could write a kids book.THE ADVENTURES OF MAMA MEAT-A-BALL AND MIMI!!

    ReplyDelete