Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Stuff

I have come to the realization that The Stuff in my house multiplies at night when I go to sleep!! And paper trash, don't get me started on paper trash! Do you know what I mean? Which brings me to yesterday, well let me just say it was one of those days where I couldn't seem to accomplish much of anything on my list for having to sift through The Stuff cluttering up my home. I had all intentions of having a productive day and I was determined to try to check off some of the things on my bathroom re-organization list. I have this list because of The Stuff taking over the bathroom. Well in doing said list it lead me to cleaning the bathroom which lead me to the laundry room and while in the laundry room I saw I needed to fold clothes and put them away, well while I was putting the clothes away in my bedroom I saw that my drawers were a mess and full of said Stuff. So I organized my drawers as to eliminate extra Stuff (old worn out socks, tanks, tshirts, etc.). Which I did and marked it off of another list and in between all of these things I was giving quizzes and grading papers. Let's just say I am not one who revels in multi-tasking! Well then it was time to fix lunch, which was actually pretty nice to take a break and just enjoy my husband and my kids company and not think about The Stuff and it's over accumulation. Then the kids and I were cleaning up from lunch and I opened the dreaded plastic cup/bowl cabinet. What was I thinking? Needless to say the tower of plastic cups came tumbling down with the most wonderful sound. I cannot tell you how many times those darn plastic cups have come tumbling to the floor. Trying to do a simple task as putting away the dishes shouldn't become a major production because of all The Stuff. I would just like to know how many Dickey's BBQ, Chic-fil-A or Varsity cups does one household need? I am just saying. I can see keeping a few cups that mean something (for example my Disney souvenir cups) but I am starting to feel the rest have just become more Stuff to maneuver around and they truly need to find another home. After cleaning up the mess I made it was time for the kids to go back to doing school work. Yesterday afternoon was the day little miss Emily needed to recite her verses. Her first set to recite was: Matthew 6:19-21  19"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal.  20"But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys, and where thieves do not break in or steal;  21for where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. What an awesome verse for me to hear today. Wow, I thought I am not just storing up treasures but I am storing up Stuff, unnecessary Stuff!!  You know, there are days I wonder why God puts up with me and why He has truly blessed me with so much. You know even though I have all of this Stuff I didn't consider that I was storing it up. All the praying I have been doing for God to give me some organizational skills so I can organize my house is paying off. First I had to get annoyed and uncomfortable enough to want to do something about The Stuff. All I can say is bye bye Stuff away with you. I am so ready to simplify. There will be a cleansing and purging going on in the Carlson household.  Proverbs 31:27 says 27She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness. Even though my hands have not been idle, I sure have not been keeping to the ways of my household. It is amazing how much Stuff one can accumulate while not paying attention. Oh Lord please help me to store up my treasures in heaven and help me to purge, organize and simplify The stuff in my home and my life so it can be an offering to you and not just with trying to keeping up with all of The Stuff. In Jesus name, Amen



There is nothing like God's word and chocolate to make a mom feel better.
Chocolate Pots de Creme
1 cup half-n-half
1 cup heavy cream (if you don't have heavy cream you can use 2 cups half-n-half)
2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons sugar
3 1/3 cups(20 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
3 tablespoons vanilla extract
Pinch of salt


Combine first 4 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; cook over medium heat stirring constantly for about 12 minutes or until temperature reaches 160 degrees. Then add in your chocolate chips and next 2 ingredients, continuing to stir until it is nice and creamy smooth.
Spoon chocolate mixture into 4 to 6 ounce dessert cups or ramekins; cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 3 hours. It is really rich like a truffle center. Serve with whip cream. Just a warning after my family had this recipe they said they will never eat boxed or store bought pudding again. It is so good and the good thing is, since it is so rich, a little goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment