Thursday, February 17, 2011

Oh, Lord it's hard to be humble.

Those who read this blog over the age of 40 are most likely to know this catchy little chorus in the tune by Mac Davis. "Oh, Lord it's hard to be humble, when you're perfect in every way. I can't wait to look in the mirror, I get better looking each day, to know me is to love me. I must be a heck of a man. Oh, Lord it's hard to be humble. I am doing the best that I can." Well I never said I was perfect and I definately don't find my self good looking and figured I was doing the best that I could, so surely I am more humble than prideful. Well the Lord says alot about pride and humility. Here are several verses:
Proverbs 16:5 Everyone who is proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD; Assuredly, he will not be unpunished. (Ouch!)
Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before stumbling.
Proverbs 29:23 A man's pride will bring him low, but a humble spirit will obtain honor.
These are just a few from Proverbs alone. Which brings me to why my blog is a day late. I wrestled most of the day with God yesterday on the content of the blog. I set out yesterday with every intention on focusing on how wonderful it was giving my neighbor's their gift of thanks for raising good kids and being good mom's on Valentines day. You know showing some Neighborly Love. I also wanted to focus on how shocked they were that someone would just give them a gift out of the blue for being a good mom. There was one that was even having a really bad day and questioning herself as a mother and how it made her day and lifted her spirit. How do I not know by now not to wrestle with God and just submit to His will? With in itself is being prideful, for I just knew my way was best. Not!!! Well, I had no intention on sharing this part so here goes, I started out packing the gifts in a pretty bag that would enable me to carry them all without dropping them and still look cute. With head held high, up the driveway I went all full of myself for creating these cute little gifts to give my neighbors to just brighten their day. Wow, big mistake! Because, I knew without the leading of the Holy Spirit I would have never even had the idea of the gift or even to give a gift. So half way up my long driveway I hear a little whisper in my ear, what if my neighbors think this is stupid, what if they just think here goes the bible banging homeschool mom again. All of a sudden I was taken back to being 16 and felt like the shy little girl going to set down at the popular girls table at lunch. My heart sunk into my stomach and I just said, " I can't do this, this is dumb, What was I thinking!" Well I spun around and headed back down the driveway and I heard, " I am watching you. The outcome isn't what matters. What matters is that it is what I told you to do." And immediately I heard a song that had been stuck in my head since Sunday (thank you FHBC Choir) "I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free, His eye is on the sparrow and I know He's watching me." What did I have to be worried about God is with me and it's Him doing the giving through me. It all turned out wonderful as I said above and which leads me to the best verse. Proverbs 15:33 The fear of the LORD is instruction for wisdom, and before honor comes humility. I am so thankful, God humbled me so I wouldn't stumble and act haughty for it was not me to be honored on Monday but the Lord used me to honor those wonderful women and in the process I pray I honored Him. I know Lord that my actions don't always honor you, heck half the time they don't honor me. I am so thankful you are not finished with me yet and that you won't leave me where you found me! Oh, Father God, help me each and every day to be authentic and be the person who I am in you and not a prideful person set out to hold on to glory for myself. Help me Jesus to lead a life of humility and to live a life that is honoring to You and my family! In Your most precious Holy Name. Amen!



Smothered Pork Medallions
1 pkg. whole pork tenderloin, about 2 pounds
1/2 cup vegetable oil (I use a canola,olive oil blend)
Spice Mixture ( 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp paprika)
1/2 cup flour plus 2 tablespoons
1 vidalia or sweet onion, thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
2 cups water


In one small bowl combine ingredients to make spice mixture and place your flour in a separate bowl. Slice tenderloins into 1 inch thick medallions.
 Rub some of the spice mix on each medallion about 1/2 total. Saving the rest of the mix for later in recipe. Heat oil in deep, heavy skillet on medium high heat. When oil is hot dredge medallions in flour and add to oil. Brown medallions about 3 minutes on each side. Once medallions are browned remove them from skillet and place on a plate. Cover them with a paper towel to keep them moist.

                                               
Without removing any drippings or oil add onion and red pepper to skillet. Cook until veggies are just tender. Add in the remaining spice mix and 2 tablespoons flour skillet. Stir to incorporate spices and flour to veggies. Continue to stirring until the flour is browned.



 Add in 2 cups of water and stir until flour is well blended into the water. Return the medallions to the skillet and reduce your heat to low. Cook for about 30 min. stirring occasionally so flour doesn't stick and gravy gets thick.
I serve this over rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment