Monday, January 28, 2013

Measure of a Mom

Often times I feel insignificant and feel as if my life holds little value in the grand scheme of things, then I read scripture and study the bible and it I see a whole different view of my life. I am shown that seemingly insignificant events can have eternal consequences. You cannot determine a person's value by their environment. Jesus didn't come into this world as He deserved as royalty to be laid in a golden crib, but He was born in a lowly manger ( basically a cow trough). In this little obscure moment in time, in a less than perfect or worthy ennvironment, would only viewed by a very few for it's true value. The truth that this birth was no ordinary birth but the birth of a King. A King that was born to be sacrificed  for the atonement of our sins, thus a way for our salvations was being prepared. No we are not Jesus, but we are daughters of the King. If you are a child of God you are chosen and predestined. 
Ephesians 1:11 also we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to His purpose who works all things after the counsel of His will, 
Romans 8:30 and these whom He predestined, He also called; and these whom He called, He also justified; and these whom He justified, He also glorified.
If we are children of God we are predestined and called according to His purpose, to be justified for His glory. Since God uses all for His glory, which includes using the children of God for His purpose, this in itself  makes our lives significant and of value. Sure, I may look like a lowly homeschool mom that stays at home, but if I speak the truth for God's glory and live my life to honor Him and teach my children to do the same and serve my husband biblically, than I am significant and there is purpose for my life. It may not be what the world calls meaningful, but I choose today to see my life through the eternal eyes of the Lord rather than the eyes of this fallen world, than I will know I have value and purpose.

 Father God, I lift up to you all who read this blog. Dear Lord let them feel the value you hold for their lives and not the value the world puts on them. For God you sent your only Son to save us, not as a worldly King but as a spiritual King to give us salvation. If Lord, those reading are not yet Your child,  I beseech your Spirit to lead them to your Son Jesus, so they to may feel the joy and blessing of your child. I pray this in Your Son's Jesus' Holy Name.

These Taters take a while but they are worth it, nothing better than cheesy potatoes!
Au Gratin Potatoes
5 to 6 Medium Potatoes washed well (I leave the skins on), sliced really thin (not quite paper thin)
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp garlic granules or powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 to 3 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups shredded white cheddar cheese
2 cups of half n half (you can use whole milk, but 2% or skim doesn't work well)
cooking spray

Coat a 3 qt casserole dish generously with cooking spray and set aside. In small bowl mix flour, garlic granules, salt and pepper and set aside. Place 1/3 of the potatoes into the casserole. Sprinkle half of the flour mixture over the top of potatoes.
then layer with 1/2 cup shredded cheese and about 4 to 5 pats of butter.
repeat layers of 1/3 potatoes, rest of flour mixture, 1/2 cup of cheese and butter, then top with remaining potatoes and pats of butter.

In a small saucepan heat half n half (to just before it boils). Pour hot half n half over potato layers.
Cover with foil and bake in 375 degree oven for 40 min. Uncover and bake 15 min. more.
Cover with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake for 10 min. or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
I love to serve these potatoes with meatloaf, because they both are cooked at 375 for about 1 hr.

No comments:

Post a Comment