Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Days of Thanksgiving: Day 4 (My Babies)

     Oh, how thankful I am for my sweet babies! Who are not quite babies anymore and act offended if I call them as such. My beautiful babies are Zach (20), Brandon (13) and Emily (12). No matter how old they get they will always be my babies! They will always look like this to me. Brandon is on the left and Zach is holding Emily.

 It was much harder to try to find a recent picture with the three of them together. As a matter of fact there wasn't a recent one. I am sure they will be so super excited to be providing Mom with a picture together this Thanksgiving. It is so happening ya'll. Here they are today. 

Zach
Brandon
Emily
  Aren't they a lovely bunch of coconuts. They are definitely 3 characters. But with parents like theirs how could they not be. All have their own unique, fabulous personalities. Won't my 20 year old just be thrilled I said he has a fabulous personality. What a hoot it is being their Mother. Never a dull moment in the Carlson household. I adore these young people so much that I just had to homeschool them to have more time with them (well that's one reason). I can honestly say they are my favorites!! It is so important to me that I share with them a love for God's truths through studying His word. It is imperative to me to be the most godly woman I can be. One of my favorite quotes is from Alistair Begg. He says," When my children hear godliness out of my mouth and see wickedness in my life then I point them to heaven and lead them to hell."  How true this statement is. They need to know I am not perfect and know they don't have to be either, but they do need to know right from wrong in light of the truth of the Bible. In 3 John 4 it says: I have no greater joy than to hear my children walk in truth. I don't want to get to heaven and have to see that I have lead others to Jesus and not my children. He has given these young ones to me to take care of. Even though I try really hard to be the teacher, there are days that I learn way more from them than they learn from me. What beautiful hearts they have for the Lord, and each other. When I see their beautiful smiles my heart is overfilled with joy. Proverbs 31:27-30 27She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness.28Her children rise up and bless her; Her husband also, and he praises her saying: 29"Many daughters have done nobly, But you excel them all."30Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the LORD, she shall be praised. I really could go on for days about my kids, could ya'll tell? The best thing I can do for my kids is pray for them and lift them up to God.
 Father God help me to be the woman you have planned me to be, so I can be a godly Mom to these precious gifts you have given to me. I want to be a Proverbs 31 woman. Father I lift my children up to you, Lord protect them and fill their hearts and thoughts with the glory and wisdom of you. May they continually look to You for guidance and acceptance and not to the world for it. Thank you again Lord for giving me the opportunity to be Zach, Brandon and Emily's Mom. It is a blessing. In Jesus' lovely name. Amen.


This bread is not full of idleness, it is loaded with goodness and pumpkin.
Good For You Pumpkin Bread:
1 1/3 cups Coconut Shortening (you can use softened butter or margarine)
2 cups Turbinado Sugar
3 organic brown eggs (room temperature)
1 tablespoon organic vanilla
3 cups organic all-purpose wheat flour
1 tablespoon aluminum free baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 can solid pack organic pumpkin (15 to 16oz)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl combine sugar and shortening until it looks like and has the consistency of thick oatmeal.
Add in vanilla  and incorporate. Add in eggs one at a time and mix well after each.
In another bowl combine your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and pumpkin pie spice). I use a wire whisk. I find it incorporates the dry ingredients better than just a fork.
Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture.  1/3 of the dry at a time, incorporating the dry fully into the wet after each. Last but not least add in the star ingredient which is the pumpkin. Mix it in fully. The consistency of the batter will resemble that of brownie batter.
Pour even amounts of batter into 2 greased (I used a canola oil cooking spray) 9in x 5in x 3in loaf pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick stuck in center comes out clean.
I like to serve my pumpkin bread warm and since it is a healthier version a little butter on it won't hurt, right?


No comments:

Post a Comment