Monday, January 17, 2011

And so it begins...

Hello and welcome to Devo's and Dishes.
For a while now friends and family have wanted me to make a cookbook so I can share my recipes with them. Well I find that idea a little overwhelming, but a I figured a blog, I might could do. So here goes:

My love for cooking and creating dishes for my family didn't come natural. I needed a supernatural intervention. I was a terrible cook. You can just ask Big Daddy (my husband) and Zach (my 19yr.old ). They suffered through years of what I called cooking. They just called it torture. My other two children  Brandon (13) and Emily (11) are very thankful they didn't have to suffer as long. Long story short, Jesus showed me that my most important ministry was to my family. What better way to serve my family than to learn how to cook.
Well I had to put it all in God's hands cause I truly couldn't do this on my own. Only through prayer, Scripture and God sending me the food network, It all came together.
One scripture that I used daily in the begining is Philippians 4:13: 13I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. NASB
I can truly say my family loves my cooking. There is nothing more satisfying than to go out to a nice restaurant and hear your family say than this is good Mom but yours is better.
There is nothing sweeter than living life as a Christ follower, so todays recipe is a sweet treat.
One of my family's favorite cookies (including the dogs):

Snickerdoodles
2 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1teaspoon baking soda ( with no aluminum)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening ( I use coconut oil shortening)
8 tablespoons (1stick) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar, plus 3 tablespoons
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sift flour, baking soda and salt into bowl.
In a separate bowl beat together shortening and butter.
Add 1 1/2 cups sugar slowly until it is light and fluffy.
Add in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
Add flour mixture slowly and blend until smooth.
In a separate small bowl mix 3 tablespoons sugar with the 1 tablespoon of cinnamon.
Roll your dough in hands into 1 1/2 inch balls than roll dough balls into cinnamon sugar mixture.
Flatten dough balls into 1/2 thick disks on to unlined cookie sheet.
Bake 12 min. or until light brown around the edges.
On a side note I like to use organic ingredients where possible.
May God bless your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment